Friday 22 July 2011

Toy Soldiers: Tutorial - Putting together a CMG Guardian Drone

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 11

The Critical Mass Games Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone is fairly similar, in construction, to the Hyperion Drone.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 01

The Guardian Drone is quite a bit smaller than the Hyperion and it has more white metal parts.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 02

The main hull of the Guardian Drone has a similar waste resin piece attached to it as that on the Hyperion. It is however, considerably easier to remove.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 04

A couple of quick snips with the end cutters and a bit of filing with a needle file and the hull is ready for assembly.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 05

The metal parts need very little clean up at all, there is no flash, and no mould lines at all, very high quality casting.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 06

The two main gun options on the Guardian are made of white metal. I assume as they are smaller than the ones on the Hyperion, the white metal is more practical than using resin.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 07

I still found it necessary to pin the gun barrel onto the hull. For details of how I attached the gun barrel refer to the Hyperion article.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 08

The fit is once again very neat, and I am sure that once it is painted it will be difficult to see the join.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 09

As I am not sure, as yet, how I am going to paint these models, I have tacked the side nacelles on to the hull with a small drop of superglue. Once I have finalised the painting I will pin and glue them as I did with the gun barrel.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 10

These last photos show the completed RAL Guardian Drone sitting next to and ARC Fleet APC and a single ARC Fleet trooper, for scale.

Praesentia RAL Guardian Drone 12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...