Tuesday 20 November 2012

Wargaming 20 Questions

This seems to be doing the rounds on the wargaming blogs a while ago, and as I am very busy and don’t seem to have the time to come up with anything original at the moment, I thought I would give it a go!

1. Favourite Wargaming period and why?

Science Fiction. Followed by Pulp and Weird War, whether it be 1920’s Back of Beyond, Dinosaur Safari, Retro Sci-Fi, 70’s TV shows or Nazi Zombie hunting.

I have always been a diehard Sci-Fi fan, and all of these categories seem at least related to that…

As far as historical periods go, I haven’t really settled on a favourite yet! I like 19thC Colonial, Sudan etc. I have a substantial Late WWII British force. When I get around to painting them up I have a large collection of Ancient British too.


2. Next period, money no object?

I have several projects brewing at the moment. I did some work for Critical Mass Games last year (designed their newly released Laser Cut Tokens for them), and for that I received large Arc Fleet and Praesentia armies. I am slowly painting them up. However that doesn’t really fit the “Money No Object” requirement.

I have picked up a few packs of Mark Copplestone’s 15mm Barbarians.  As a keen fan of Robert E. Howard’s writing, with a particular favourite being his Bran Mak Morn stories, these were a no-brainer! At the moment I am only planning on doing skirmish with them. I do plan to build some special terrain boards with a dark and brooding fantasy Britain theme to them (misty overgrown meres, standing stones, rock gullies and small woods etc. as well as a barbarian village.

If money were no object I would certainly expand those plans to full on battles over a large table…


3. Favourite 5 films? 

Blade Runner

Alien

The Ultimate Warrior

No Blade of Grass

The Quiller Memorandum


4. Favourite 5 TV series?

Blake’s 7

Babylon 5

Burn Notice

Callan

The Champions


5. Favourite book and author?

Favourite book would have to be Frank Herbert’s Dune, but my favourite author (as I have not disliked any of his books) would David Gemmell. I nearly went for Gemmell’s Legend and my favourite books as well, but Dune will always have a place in my heart.


6. Greatest General? Can’t count yourself!!

I am not much of a historian when it comes to military leaders. I would say Admiral Nelson but as he wasn’t a general it will have to be Genghis (Chingis) Khan. I have read several books on the Mongols and their history. I find them fascinating.


7. Favourite Wargames rules?

I don’t really have one particular set of rules that I would call my favourite. I like The Sword and the Flame for colonial warfare, although I haven’t played it much. I haven’t really found a set of World War 2 rules that I like. I do like the way Rattrap Productions put together their pulp rules and I have a soft spot for Voyages Extraordinaires from Wessex games, as it is such a simple system…

I am also very keen to give Song of Blades and Heroes a try, as it seems to fit my requirements for a simple Skirmish game.

I suppose that I would probably say 7TV at the moment, although I haven’t actually played it. The rules read very well and the books are stunningly well put together with wonderful artwork!


8. Favourite Sport and team?

I am not much of a sports fan. I rarely watch any sport, although I do like to see the results of the Six Nations Rugby.  I used to be quite heavily involved in archery, but as you don’t see very much of that on TV (and to be honest it is not he the most riveting television anyway), and it’s not a team event anyway, I will have to skip this question. 


9. If you had a only use once time machine, when and where would you go?

Very difficult to answer this one. There are several historical times and places I would like to see, but to be honest I would probably go forward in time rather than back. Possibly a couple of hundred years. Of course there is a big what if with this:- will the world still exist, will we have finally wiped ourselves out, will the zombie apocalypse have happened, will Apple have finally taken over the world (the worst outcome of them all)…
10. Last meal on Death Row?

11. Fantasy relationship and why?

Don’t really have any suggestions here as I can’t really imagine who, other than my wife, I would want a relationship with!


12. If your life were a movie, who would play you?

I haven’t a clue…


13. Favourite Comic  Superhero?
I am not really much of a comic book fan, I do read the odd one now and again, but I tend to avoid anything resembling spandex. I thought about settling for one of Robert E. Howard’s characters, but as they were not originally from comic books and I first encountered them when reading second hand books in the mid 1970s I don’t consider them to be primarily comic book characters.

The only comic book hero that I follow is The Rocketeer, so I guess he gets my vote!

14. Favourite Military quote?

I don’t really know many military quotes, the only ones that spring to mind are Caesar’s Veni Vidi Vici (I Came, I Saw, I Conquered!) Nelson’s England Expects speech and General Anthony Clement McAuliffe’s response to the Germans ultimatum requesting his surrender to which his one word reply was of course “Nuts”.

As a patriotic Englishman I suppose that Nelson’s speech wins that one!

15. Historical destination to visit?

The Mongolian Steppe!


16. Biggest Wargaming regret?

Being out of the hobby from about 1980 until 1996. While at university I used to buy and paint miniatures, but they were mainly for roleplaying use. I continued to paint miniatures right through, but didn’t really get into wargaming seriously until I found a new group of friends up here in Aberdeen. Now I can’t imagine life without it…


17. Favourite Fantasy job?

Working in movie special effects as a model maker and sculptor. This very nearly wasn’t a fantasy, as back in the 1980s after I left university I had an interview at the BBC Visual Effects Department, but I didn’t have the experience they were looking for at the time.


18. Favourite Song Top 5?

5. Wild is the Wind by David Bowie

4. Evangeline by The Icicle Works

3. Small Circles by The Rainmakers

2. Copperhead Road by Steve Earle

1. Heroes by David Bowie


19. Favourite Wargaming Moment?

Running a TUSK demo game at a local convention (mainly RPGs) and having the Games Workshop staff on the next table close up their game early, so that they could come and play our game, as everyone was having so much fun!

20. The miserable Git question, what upsets you?

Trying to think up answers to some of these questions…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...