The first part of this series took some toy pig shelters and turned them into Nissen Huts. Now I am going to show you how I took a couple of cheap air fresheners and made some dome habitats.
I spotted these air fresheners in the local supermarket, they were the own brand, cheap and cheerful variety (the air freshener didn’t actually work at all, so no problem with model scenery stinking of “summer flowers”). At 25 pence each I thought they were certainly worth picking up, as I immediately saw the potential.
The stand on the plastic shell, once it is lying on it’s front is ideal for the addition of a door.
This is more or less all that is needed for this project. The two domes, a couple of CDs for bases and some doors and vents from The Scene.
The first job was to stick the dome to the CD. I started off using Plastic Weld (similar to Liquid Poly – based on dichloromethane). However, the injection moulded plastic of the dome was resistant to solvent effect, so I ended up using a Z-Poxy (an Epoxy adhesive) instead.
While I had the Z-Poxy out I quickly glued the doors and vent in place to. I stuck the vent on the roof both to add a little interest and also to hide the injection moulding nipple.
The vent and doors didn’t quite sit flat against the plastic.
I used a little Revell Plasto filler to fill in the gaps around them.
Finally I added some sand to the base and added a quick paint job. and wash.
As I write this and look at the very first picture again, I think I may have to get a couple more of theses air fresheners. They would make interesting comms stations too.
Next week I will have another instalment of Quick and Easy Terrain. It will probably be the last 15mm scale terrain for a while, as I really need to get back to doing some 28mm stuff…