Wednesday 11 January 2017

Model Making Crisis!

I have not posted to the blog, at least not with anything other than book reviews or wargames show reviews, for some time now.

I have, recently, gone through my Facebook and Google+ accounts and "Unliked/Unfollowed" the majority of figure/game companies that I had previously been following. Initially, this was a way to avoid temptation, however, I soon realised that it was very liberating and carried on until there were only around half a dozen that I have stuck with.

Also, I have become aware that I am finding it very hard to get myself to do any figure or model work at all. I have a couple of little jobs that I should have been able to complete in an evening, but I can't even find the enthusiasm to finish those. As for starting any of the other planned projects that I have lined up, I just can't see that happening anytime soon.

I have been thinking about this for a few days to try to work out why I have lost interest in miniatures, model making and gaming. Several things come to mind, but mainly the fact that I bought a DSLR camera earlier this year. I used to be a keen photographer, back when I was at uni and for a while afterwards (I worked in a camera shop for just over a year after I left uni). I bought the new camera for many reasons, including photographing miniatures. However, the main reason was because I wanted to rekindle my love of photography for its own sake. This has worked, and I find myself devouring photographic magazines and web articles as I rediscover the intricacies of manual photography. Actually, a lot of it is new to me, as the last time I used an SLR camera, it was with film, instead of being digital.

So, clearly, I have not lost my creative side, it has just refocused into other areas! Now I need to hope that this is just a short-term swing away from miniatures and model-making, and not a permanent move in a new direction. I have decided that I should stop cutting myself up about it, put all my minis away for a while and see if I get the urge to sculpt/build/paint in the near future.

3 comments:

  1. It isn't a hobby if it's not something you enjoy. Somwtimes we can get caught up in too much stuff and not see the proverbial wood for the trees. Sounds like a break to explore photography once more is exactly what you're needing. Then who knows, maybe we'll see some minis and scenery captured with your awesome photography skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You.

      I have also deleted my G+ profile so I can't comment on your blog posts anymore. I will however be reading them with interest!

      Delete
  2. I think these slumps are inevitable in our hobby. It can take so long to finish one project that it's hard to see the end in sight sometimes. The self imposed pressure of having to post on our blogs is another problem that can add to the burn out.

    If a break will do the trick then do it. Take as long as you need :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...