Monday 16 June 2014

Iron Mammoth's Studio won a Liebster Award!


This came somewhat out of the blue... I must admit I haven't really been pushing for acclaim or publicity with my blogs. So when this nomination turned up I was very surprised. Anyway, I suppose I should really pass it forward!


---------------------------------------------
The rules are:

    Link back to the blog that nominated you.

    Nominate other blogs with 200 or less followers

    Answer a couple (or more) questions
---------------------------------------------


OK, so lets get going...


Link back: Cluck Amok

Nominate other blogs with 200 or less followers:

Dampf's Modelling Page -Terrain Making at it's best... (Edit: It appears I shouldn't have nominated this one as it already has too many followers - oh well check it out anyway...).

18 Charlie -Another excellent terrain making blog!

Colonel O'Truth's Miniature Issues - Some amazing scratch-built steampunk pieces and some lovely conversions too...

MSRaynsford - A keen maker,with his own laser cutter. It's always interesting to see what he will produce next...

Warhammer Tau - I briefly ran the Warhammer Tau blog, fortunately during the period of the publication of the last Tau Codex. I don't play GW games very much, but I do love the Tau and more especially the Kroot figures.


As for the questions...

Why did you start blogging?
I have been blogging for a long time. Before that I ran a couple of podcasts.
I see people trying to break in to model making and figure sculpting and having spent years discovering the secrets of these skills, I am happy to pass them on.

If you could change one thing about the wargaming hobby, what would it be?
That's a tricky question to answer. I don't think I would change much about the hobby. I personally would like to relocate, to be nearer the centre of things within the UK wargaming hobby, somewhere around Nottingham for example, as that seems pretty central for most of the wargaming in the UK. But I doubt that will happen!

What is best in life?
My family. Beyond that, being able to create objects and models that last, and that hopefully some people like and find useful.

Fame or Fortune?
Neither and both... I'd like a little more spare cash, who wouldn't, but I don't really need a great deal more.
As for fame, it is nice to be appreciated, but I don't see that as fame in itself...

What miniatures are you most proud of having painted?
I don't really feel pride in my miniature painting. I am pleased with some that I have painted at different times, over the years. Fir example, I was very pleased with a halfling /skeleton diorama that I put together back in the late 1980s. It got me a place in GW's very first Golden Demon competition. I didn't win (a friend of mine got the Slayer Sword), but I still like the piece.
I suppose the simplest answer is I am usually most proud of the last figure I finished...

How do you deal with burnout?
I don't get a chance to burn out. I tend to flit between different mediums and projects continuously. I am usually juggling sculpting jobs, hand built model making jobs, design jobs for the laser cutter and and various other things that cross my path. I also try to keep my blogs going too.
On top all that, my two sons, knowing I am a professional model maker, have always got things they want me to make!
Ocassionally I do have an evening when I simply can't be bothered to do anything, but it's not long before I feel the need to get back to making stuff!

Why is a Raven like a writing desk?
I have always loathed Alice In Wonderland...

Star Wars or Star Trek?
Neither! I have complete collections of Babylon 5 and Blake's 7. I am collecting the new audiobooks of Blake's 7 that are coming out regularly as well now.
I enjoyed Star Trek until about half way through DS9, and then became very indifferent towards it.
As for Star Wars, it did have a huge influence on me when I was 12, but unfortunately the arrival of the second trilogy of films didn't manage to recapture any of that.

If you could only buy from one miniature company from now on, which would it be?
Very difficult... I would be tempted to say Hydra Miniatures as I love their Retro Raygun range. Also Infamy Miniatures and Guild of Harmony for their beautiful Steampunk creations. There are lots of other companies that produce excellent miniatures too.

If I had to go with one company, being pragmatic about it, I would probably go with West Wind Productions. I don't actually have that many of their minis, but that is one of the reasons I chose them.
I have been keen to pick up more of their Empire of the Dead VSF range. I would also like to get a lot more of their Secrets of the Third Reich Weird War stuff. Beyond that I like quite a lot of their Gothic Horror figures and I have an interest in getting some Samurai and World War 2 as well.

What is your favourite takeaway (take-out)?
Chinese Takeaway, although there is also room for the occasional Indian, Doner Kebab and Pizza too...


What do you like most (or least) about blogging?
I like the community that has grown up online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...