Tuesday 4 February 2020

Sci-Fi Terrain Review

For the past couple of years my group of gamers have been almost exclusively playing Star Wars Destiny, and card/dice game. It is an interesting game with plenty of replayability and endless possibilities for rebuilding your decks, but for some time we have been feeling that we really wanted to get back to some wargaming. So we played our final game of Star Wars Destiny the week before Christmas. January and February have been set aside for playing a few board games while we prepare for some proper wargaming.

The general plan is to start with Frostgrave and then depending on how long we play that for we will move on to Gaslands, Kill Team or possibly even 40k. On the back burner, we also have Lion/Dragon Rampant, more Blood Eagle, more In Her Majesty's Name and possibly The Men Who Would Be Kings, but they are more long term plans.

I have plenty of scenery ready for Frostgrave, so my thoughts moved on to what I have ready for sci-fi games and in particular Kill Team/40k. I have been picking up the odd copies of Warhammer 40k Conquest when I have seen it in the newsagents so I have amassed a fair bit of recent GW 40k scenery. I have also been laser cutting some gantries and buildings (designed by Bilbostomper of Thingyverse) to fill out my table. So the other night I decided it was about time I set it up to see what I had and if I needed any more.


Looking down on it from this perspective it looks spaced out, but as you get down amongst the pieces you soon realise that there is only a limited line of sight.


Even at this angle it still looks fairly open.


I took the following photos so that I could assess the line of sight possibilities


I think once you get down into the terrain, you start to see the limited field of view.


Some angles offer a more open table, but still with plenty of cover to move between.


I must also add that I have also built the GW40k crane since I took these so space is going to be even more restricted.

These photos only include my recent additions, I still need to go through all of my older pieces of terrain, such as the original 40k ruins and various other resin bits and pieces. I also have several pieces that I have scratch built as well as four Urban Mammoth terrain kits (I believe these were made by Tehnolog and repackaged by Urban Mammoth) that I still need to put together.




So, I think I can safely say that I have enough terrain to run Kill Team (if not Necromunda). Now, I just need to get some paint on to it, which should be a relatively quick process...

Hopefully, this is the start of some more regular post on this blog as I immerse myself back into the wargaming world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...