Thursday 28 November 2013

Fireforge Games Mongols


To my regret, I have never done as much historical gaming as I would like. Sure, I have collected 15mm Mongols, 28mm Vikings and American Wild West figures, even 1/72 scale Persians, but I have never gotten around to painting them or indeed using them in a wargame. All of those above have been moved on at bring and buy sales over the past few years.

I have hung on to various samurai figures (1/72 Zvezda and 28mm Perry Miniatures), which I am planning to use with Ronin. I also have a large collection of Ancient British and Colonial British Camel Corp., the later of which are being prepared for a game of Colonial Saga (as published in a recent Wargames Soldiers and Strategy).

Anyway, the reason for this ramble is the recent emergence on Fireforge Games Facebook page of their coming plastic Mongol range. I have have been fascinated by the rise of the Mongol Empire under Genghis Khan for many years. I have read every book I could find and have a large collection of TV documentaries (mainly of VHS tape - and therefore unwatchable - but I hope to transfer them to digital at some point) and movies.




So, it was fair to say, I was bound to be attracted to the Fireforge Mongols. My initial interest was tainted somewhat by Foreforge's decision to place their Mongol cavalry of horses rather than steppe ponies. However I understand their decision to produce a more "cinematic" look is probably driven by the look of the figures, which I am sure to an uneducated eye, would look out of place on  a smaller pony rather than the full size horses. I can't deny that I like the look of the figures and I like the horses too, I am just a little disappointed that they have been put together. There is a possibility I will source some ponies to sit the Fireforge figures on, I have 3D printed several horse at varying scales to see how difficult it would be to convert them to steppe ponies, and I am still considering it, but at the end of the day I have come around to their sculpts and I doubt if I could find the time to work up a full collection of steppe ponies for them anyway.







More and more photos are coming through now, cavalry, heavy cavalry and more recently infantry, all of which look excellent. At the very least I imagine I will have to pick up one box of each, and if that doesn't look that part I may aim at a sizable horde...

3 comments:

  1. They look splendid and so useful for a variety of historical and fantasy settings.

    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, I can see a use for them in both a Hyborian Kingdoms game and also LotR...

      Delete
  2. In agreement with the previous comment these look stunning figures and I'm sure painted will be things of beauty. Shame then that I play 15s.
    Ah well one can still drool.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...